Authored by: OCC LASIK
What should you expect after your LASIK surgery? There are certain dos and don’ts after LASIK that you need to consider. Millions of patients who have had laser vision correction know how quickly their vision recovered and how easy the entire procedure is from start to finish. For those individuals now thinking about laser vision correction, and who need to see the whole picture before making a decision, here are some general post-operative instructions.
What to Do After LASIK
- Do have a driver arranged to bring you home after your surgery.
- Do go home and rest. It is suggested that you darken your room and lie down to nap for several hours, if possible.
- Do expect to have some scratchiness or mild discomfort after your procedure. Your surgeon may suggest some Advil or Tylenol to take the edge off any discomfort.
- Do plan to remain at home resting for the remainder of the day.
- Do follow all the post-operative instructions set by your surgeon regarding the use of moisture drops, anti-biotic drops and other medications for the next several days.
- Do keep all of your post-operative follow up appointments with your doctor. It is important that you are monitored as you heal from your surgery. Although you may not notice any issues or feel any discomfort, your doctor may notice something which might become an issue in the future. Although rare, it is always best to treat any possible complications early.
What Not to Do After LASIK
- Do not drive on the day of your surgery
- Do not go into smoky or dusty environments. Although you may feel terrific the next day, do not decide to clean out your basement or garage. Likewise, wait a week or two to work outside raking leaves or doing work in the yard. The dirt and debris in the air can interfere with healing. If you have a job that requires working in such environments, discuss this with your OCC LASIK doctor.
- Do not go into a hot tub or swim right away. Your doctor will suggest a specific date when you can enjoy these activities again.
- Do not rub or scratch your eyes while you are healing.
LASIK has become one of the most popular elective surgeries for a reason. The recovery time is amazingly quick and there is virtually no pain or discomfort. It is the solution for those wanting to be free of their glasses or contacts.
Interested in pursuing LASIK? Find out now if you are a candidate! Contact us to schedule your free LASIK evaluation or to answer any other eye health questions.